Weather conditions often have a significant impact on drivers in the New York City metropolitan area. Hard, driving rain in the warmer months and snowy, icy roads in the winter can lead to treacherous road conditions. This is especially true for buses.
Due to the large size and weight of buses, they require a greater stopping distance than passenger vehicles. In addition, their boxy design makes buses more prone to tipping over. It is important to take certain precautions when driving near a bus during bad weather conditions to reduce the risk of being involved in a bus accident.
The following tips can help you avoid a bus accident during inclement weather:
- Drive at a slower speed and increase your following distance to give yourself more time to stop
- Apply your brakes gently to avoid skidding, and ease off the brake if you feel your wheels start to lock up
- Use your headlights at all times to make it easier for other drivers to see your vehicle
- Pass with caution, and remember that bus drivers often have large blind spots
- Be careful on bridges and overpasses which tend to freeze earlier than other roads
If you have been injured in a bus accident, you may be entitled to receive compensation for your damages. Marc Albert is a bus accident attorney with more than 15 years of experience fighting for the rights of injured victims in the New York City metropolitan area. Mr. Albert has made bus accidents a primary focus of his practice, and he has the background necessary to help you recover the compensation you deserve.
Please contact the Law Offices of Marc S. Albert today to schedule your free bus accident consultation. Mr. Albert serves clients throughout the New York City metropolitan area from his offices in Queens, Manhattan, and Long Island.